Sunday, November 27, 2011

Gold, Silver and Bronze: Favourite Cheeses

I absolutely LOVE cheese!  It's something that can be used as a starter, in a main or in a dessert.  I can't say that I dislike any cheese.  I enjoy them all; from the extremely pungent in fragrance and flavour to the milder alike.  They all have unique characteristics which each hold their place.  I have chosen (with much difficulty and guilt) my top three favourite cheeses and awarded them the Gold, Silver and Bronze medal in my book of best cheeses to soon accompany my own book of favourite foods! (P.S.  Pictures have been borrowed)


Gold is awarded to... Burrata!

I discovered Burrata during my vacation to Los Angeles, California.  My cousins had told me about how delicious this cheese in particular was, however, I found it very difficult to believe that such a strange re-creation of the original fresh Buffalo Mozzarella cheese would create something so extraordinary.  Burrata is a fresh Italian cheese which can accredit its creation to Buffalo Mozzarella.  The outer shell of Burrata is like a stretchy Buffalo Mozzarella, but its secret rests inside. The cheese is considered to be an artisan cheese which has a strong cult following.  I am now a believer and would not only be willing to follow this cult, but be the leader.  Tearing through the strong exterior to release the creamy, curdy interior is what I would consider to be heavenly.  It's a very summery, fresh and mild cheese which was originally created in Puglia, the southern region of Italy. The cheese is best served at room temperature with tomatoes, on pasta, pizza or fruit.  I also enjoy mine with a slight drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground pepper. To put it most simply, Burrata is absolute cheese heaven.




Silver is awarded to... Cambozola!

Cambazola is a combination of the characteristics which French cheeses include such as:  creaminess, fruitiness and smoothness, along with the pungency, body and strength of the Italian Gorgonzola.  It contains the same mold which is used to create many blue cheeses including Gorgonzola and Stilton.  Though Cambozola is considered to be a blue cheese, it is much milder in flavour and is also creamier in texture. Most aged blue cheeses are known for being pungent, crumbly and offensive in both flavour and fragrance.  I love the combination of Cambozola with figs, especially on a pizza accompanying caramelized onions, garlic oil, Burrata, prosciutto and arugula with a few shavings of Parmigiano Reggiano and fresh cracked pepper.


 


Finally, last but not least, Bronze is awarded to... Parmigiano Reggiano!
I am half Italian, therefore, I could never leave out the cheese I was raised to love.  It has a salty, nutty flavor complimenting dishes including pastas, risottos, salads, soups and fruit.  The cheese was created in Northern Italy in the city of Parma. The cheese is made from mixing the morning and evening milk of grass-fed cows.  It’s a slow process which includes patient aging, salting, storing and weekly turning in the storage room.  It is finally stamped with the trademark to represent the authenticity and promise of quality of the Italian cheese.

Tell me, friends...What are your top three favourite cheeses?

1 comment:

  1. Delice de Bourgogne, Fromage D'Affinois and Burrata!!

    Enjoyed reading your descriptions and some of the cheese making methods! Happy to have influenced your pallet!!!

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete