Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Christmas baking- Chewy Molasses Cookies

Seriously...Where's the snow, already?!  Since mother nature isn't on my side to help me get into the Christmas spirit, I decided to take matters into my own hands and do some Christmas baking with my mom.  I'm not a huge fan of baking because it's all about precision and science.  I can't even say that I really enjoy sweets, but I really do love these cookies! They're chewy and moist on the inside and have a crunchy exterior.  They're really beautiful as well...Remember, you eat with your eyes first!  We ran into a few little glitches during our baking adventure.  My mom ended up melting the butter rather than softening it.  Oops!  I squished a few cookies when I tried taking them out of the oven...Oops, again!  The cookies did turn out beautifully (with the exception of my two mutant cookies!) All in all, we succeeded in getting into the spirit of Christmas. What screams Christmas more than baking goodies and listening to the Carpenters Christmas album playing in the background?  I guess presents...But this will have to do for now! 


Here are the most of the ingredients the recipe called for.  Turns out we didn't need the baking powder so please ignore!  :-) 
From left to right:  Sugar, baking soda, flour, molasses, butter, cinnamon, cloves, ginger
*We also used pepper, white sugar and dark brown sugar.


Some of my spices measured out!


It's important to whisk the dry ingredients before adding them to the wet ones!


The cookie batter is coming along nicely!


This was probably my least favourite part!  Rolling the cookies...Sticky, icky!


Then they're rolled in coarse sugar.  Even stickier...But so pretty and festive!


Cookies before baking...


Cookies after baking! (Make sure you don't over-bake them)


Let them rest on a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes...Don't touch!  I know it's difficult!



I like wrapping them with a pretty ribbon at this time of year.  These cookies are definitely worthy to give to Santa.  I'm sure we've all been naughty boys and girls more than once this year.  These cookies will ensure you are forgiven and get lots of PRESENTS!  :-)

Here's the link to get the full recipe.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy - sounds like they have all the good textures working for them... crunchy and chewy is my fav!

    http://www.inherentstylela.com/

    ReplyDelete